David Orr, Cook County Clerk
Vital Records
Elections - Suburban Cook County
Real Estate and Tax Services
Ethics Filings
County Board Proceedings
News Room

Applying For A Marriage License

Before getting married in Chicago or suburban Cook County, couples must obtain a marriage license from the Cook County Clerk's office.


Under Illinois law, only eligible persons can marry. Both partners must:
  • be 18 years of age or older
  • not be blood relatives
  • not already be legally married to someone else or each other


  • Under state law, first cousins older than 50 years of age may marry.
  • Under state law, applicants who are 16 and 17 years old may obtain a marriage license with parental consent.

Both parents or legal guardians must:

  1. appear in person
  2. provide sworn consent of the marriage at that time
  3. provide valid identification

If a court-appointed legal guardian is providing consent, a certified copy of the appointment is required.

Applicants who are 16 or 17 must present the following:

  • a certified copy of their birth certificate
  • a second form of identification showing their date of birth


Couples must appear together at one of the Cook County Clerk's six locations. They must:
  • Fill out and sign a marriage license application.
  • Present valid identification with proof of age.
  • The marriage license fee is $60. 

Applicants who have divorced must provide the date the divorce was finalized upon applying for a marriage license. Applicants who have divorced within the last six months must provide a certified copy of their divorce decree.

Timelines and restrictions

Marriage licenses are:
  • issued while you wait
  • effective the following calendar day after they are issued
  • valid for 60 days
  • effective only in Chicago and suburban Cook County

After the marriage ceremony occurs

The officiant performing the ceremony must complete the bottom portion of the marriage license and mail or deliver it to the Clerk's office.

You may obtain a copy of your marriage certificate upon request.

Wallet Certificates

Commemorative Certificates for marriages and civil unions 

Engaged couple